Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pineapple Upside down Cake - Marlee Fitzpatrick


Rating: ****
Serves: 8-10
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus time to heat up coals)


Ingredients:
1 can pineapples (6oz) (I used whole pineapples one)
½ cup of pecans (optional)
½ cup brown sugar
1 square of margarine
2 yellow cake mixes

12'' dutch oven
24 coals


Directions:
1. Heat up approximately 24 coals (8 for the bottom, and 16 for the top). This took me an hour to do with a fire, but may require less time depending on the person and the method of heating.
2. Line the inside of the dutch oven with aluminum foil. This is so you can easily flip the cake after baking. Once coals are hot enough, place 8 evenly in a circular formation and put the dutch oven over top.
3. Melt the margarine (I used about 2 heaping tablespoons because I had no idea what measurement a square was...) in the pan and add the brown sugar. Once that is stirred together, add pecans (optional) and place the pineapple slices around the pan filling all the spaces. This will be the glaze for the cake.
4. Next, pour the two cake mixes into a bowl/container. Follow the instructions on the back of the box (may require eggs and oil) to make the mix.
5. Pour the batter on top of the glaze. Spread 16 coals around the top of the lid and cover the entire exterior of the dutch oven with aluminum foil to make an oven effect.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, but check every 15 minutes. You'll know it's done by the smell and the golden brown colour. Also be sure to check that it is cooked all the way through by poking it with a tooth pick or fork. If batter comes out onto the fork, it is not ready yet.
7. Once it's ready, carefully flip the cake onto a pan and remove the foil to reveal the glaze.


Response:
This recipe was extremely easy to follow. Probably the hardest part was just getting the coals warmed up. I did find it was helpful to have all my ingredients measured out ahead of time as it saved prep time. One experiment I did with this recipe is using sprite instead of the eggs it called for in the cake mix. To replace 4 eggs and oil between the two boxes, I used a small bottle of sprite. I found this gave the perfect ratio of liquids to solids to make a proper cake batter. I found that adding the sprite made the cake very sweet, maybe a bit too sweet for me, but it was still pretty good! One tip for baking the cake is make sure the tin foil wraps all the way around the oven. My cake still was not done after 25 minutes, so I put more foil to cover all the missing spots. Once that happened, the cake was done in the next 5 minutes!
If I could change anything, I would probably use eggs instead of sprite. Even though it still tasted good with the sprite, and it's easier to use and transport, I think I would prefer the cake with the proper ingredients. I would also be sure to cover the entire dutch oven with foil so it bakes faster.
All in all, it tasted good! I would make it again, but maybe with a side of ice cream to top it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment