Sunday, January 29, 2012

CHOCOLATE BANANA FRUIT ROLL UPS

ATTEMPT 2: CHOCOLATE BANANA FRUIT ROLL UPS

Rating: ** (Semi-Success)

Serves: 8 people

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Recipe:

Ingredients

-4 bananas

-2 tbs cocoa powder

-1 tbs brown sugar

Directions

1. Put all of the ingredients into a blender.

2. Puree until smooth.

3. Pour the mixture ¼ inch thick onto dehydrator racks that have been lined with parchment paper or a fruit leather screen.

4. Dehydrate at 130 degrees for approximately 10 hours or until no moist spots are visible. It would be advantageous to flip the leather about half way through the process.

5. Cut the leather into the desired sized strips.

6. Store the fruit roll up in a zip block bag.

Nutrition Facts:

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 62.1

Calories from Fat 3 50%

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Total Fat 0.3g 0%

Saturated Fat 0.1g 0%

Cholesterol 0.0mg 0%

Sugars 8.9 g

Sodium 1.3mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 15.9g 5%

Dietary Fiber 1.9g 7%

Sugars 8.9 g 35%

Protein 0.9g 1%

Response: At the very beginning of this assignment, I had had the brilliant idea of attempting two different types of recipes at the same time. To balance out the challenging Ratatouille, I chose a rather simple fruit leather as my second recipe. The chocolate banana fruit roll ups were easy to prepare and required very little clean up. The leather took much longer than I had anticipated it would to dehydrate, but eventually became solid enough for my liking. Unfortunately, I was unable to try it as it were in the dehydrator at the same time as the Ratatouille and I fear it may have been contaminated by the mold. However, I can still imagine what they would taste like and I believe that if I were to make it again, I would experiment with the recipe slightly. Most likely I would add peanut butter or nutela to the mixture to increase the protein content and alter the flavor. This attempt was an improvement on the Ratatouille, or so I can imagine, for I’ll never know for sure as I cannot know how it tasted.

MoxiePurple. “Chocolate Banana Fruit Roll Up/Fruit Leather (Dehydrator)”. Food.com. April 26, 2011.http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-banana-fruit-roll-up-fruit-leather-dehydrator-454563. (December 11, 2011)

Rae Woodhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment