Outdoor ed. dehydration assignment
By Sarah Jenni
Recipe: Bolognaise sauce
Rating *** (good)
Ingredients for 6 people
- 600 grams of ground beef
- 1 jar of tomato sauce with basil (500 ml)
- 2 Tbsp of dry onion
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp of olive oil
- 12 small carrots
- 2 Tbsp of chili powder
- Pepper and salt
Instructions for the recipe:
- Heat a small pot of water to cook the carrots.
- Cut the carrots in slices and put them in the boiling water.
- Cook the carrots a short time, until they are soft enough to put a fork into them easily.
- Keep them in a small bowl for later.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the ground beef when the oil is hot, fully brown the beef is not red anymore.
- Add half of the tomato sauce and all the carrots
- Add all the spices: dry onion, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper
- Mix with a spatula and add the rest of the tomato sauce.
- Turn the stove to low temperature and simmer until the carrots are soft and the sauce has reached your desired consistency (about 8 min).
- use the special plastic sheet to keep the liquid on the top of the dehydrator
- spread the sauce on two of the sheets
- Leave the dehydrator on for 15 hours at least, check if it is dry enough (the meat needs to be as dry as potato chips)
Dehydrated pasta sauce:
- You can use two different methods to rehydrate your sauce:
Method 1: Use hot water
- Heat 1 litre of water in a pot and add the dehydrated sauce when the water is boiling.
- Mix it with a spoon, cover and cook at medium heat.
It will take around 45 min, stir every 10 min and add 200 ml of water after 30 min.
You can eat it immediately, but for softer meat, it is better to store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag over night or through the day..
Rehydratation of the sauce with hot water:
Method 2. Use cold water
- Put your dehydrated sauce in an airtight plastic container or ziplock bag.
- Add approximately 1.5 litres of water and wait 15 hours before eating it.
With this method, your sauce will not look really nice until you heat it on a stove or add it to your cooked pasta. However, it is easier to use this method during a hiking trip because you don’t have to cook it as long.
Hints and comments:
To have more vegetables in my recipe and have a healthier dish I could add 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, and 3 fresh tomatoes.
You can use ground turkey or pork instead of the beef for variety with this recipe.
Eat this sauce with whole wheat spaghetti to get more nutrients. The advantage with pasta is that it is already dehydrated.
I would do the same recipe again if I have to take it for another trip. I think it is a nice recipe because there are a lot of proteins, fats and nutrients in this dish. The recipe is easy to make and doesn’t take a long time. It is easy to transport and you can eat it with pasta (which is already dehydrated). I was surprised to see how much lighter the sauce was and much less space it took after being dehydrated. More surprising still, the taste of the sauce after being rehydrated, is still very good!
Cuisinemonde.com. “Sauce Bolognaise”. Web.
< http://www.cuisinemonde.com/modules/sections02/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=351 >. 15 January 2012.
Sauce bolognaise image. Acuisiner.com web.
< http://www.acuisiner.com/#recettes/sauce/9_1220371925/petite-sauce-bolognaise-du-dimanche.html >. 15 January 2012.
Recipe: Yogurt and pineapple
Rating *** (good)
Ingredient for 4 people
- 400 grams of vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 fresh pineapple
We wanted to create our own pineapple yogurt, but we realized that the pineapple and the yogurt will not take the same time in the dehydrator. Finally, we decided to do two different ingredients. We wanted to see how the pineapple and the yogurt would look like after having been in the dehydrator. We were really surprised and happy with the results.
- Cut the pineapple in small pieces or if you prefer you can do slices.
- The pineapple:
1. Put the slices or pieces of pineapple in the dehydrator for 6 hours.
1. Spread the yogurt in a layer from 5 to 10 mm on the plastic sheets for dehydrator. Leave the yogurt in the dehydrator over night and few hours more if you see some part which stays soft, particularly on the middle.
The yogurt will look like chips if it is really dry, it could be a bit softer too. The taste is really close to caramel. It is a nice snack, with the good nutrients of yogurt.
You don’t have to rehydrate these ingredients they are really good to eat dehydrated.
Hints and comments:
- To dehydrate the yogurt, it would be better to put parchment paper on the plastic sheet before adding the yogurt, because it was hard to remove the yogurt when it was dehydrated; it became quite sticky.
- The yogurt is really good to give you sugar and protein. When it is dehydrated you can cut it into small pieces to eat like candy. I was surprised to find that it has the taste of caramel.
- If I repeated the pineapple recipe in the future, I would cut it in bigger pieces. I also think it is better to do thicker slices, because the pineapple loses a lot of volume when it is dehydrated.
The pineapple and the yogurt are a nice snack to take with you for a trip because it offers variety from cereal or granola bars all the time. They taste really good and take very little space and weight in your bag!
We don’t have any sources for the recipes of the yogurt and the pineapple because it was our own idea.
Fresh pineapple slices image. Heaven’s garden website.
< http://icetrail.blogspot.com/2011/05/pineapple-juice-recipes-benefits.html >. 15 January 2012.
Astro vanilla yogurt image. Evans wholesale web. < http://www.evanswholesale.net/milk-supplier-product-page.php?category=cat_Yogourt&item=10 > . 15 January 2012.